Discipline… How much is encompassed in that word!
Discipline is given and received. There needs to be a “Discipliner” and a “Disciplinee”
It might be giving advice to someone, living before someone, or seeking to correct someone.
It might be being on the receiving end of any of these, receiving advice from someone, observing the life of someone, or receiving correction from someone.
What relationships lend themselves naturally to the application of discipline?
Let me know what comes to your mind.
I see the following:
God to Person
– God’s direct dealings with an individual and their response.
Person to Self
– We need to keep ourselves in check. The flesh needs to be controlled, the world filtered and the Devil resisted.
Person to Another
– In our dealings with others we need to be able to be mutually accountable.
Father to Family, Mother to children
– Order in the home is essential and will reap benefits in other areas
Mentor to Disciple
– Having chosen or been chosen a mentor a good example is required.
Assembly to Member
– Order in God’s House is imperative. Leaders must lead; others follow.
Employer to Employee
– With the common goal in mind we succeed. Again, leaders must lead; others follow.
Government to Citizen
– Anarchy never betters a country.
“Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment” Jim Rohn
With a world in confusion much of the time regarding the application of this vital concept, what does God’s word say about the various aspects of discipline?
|Leader / Discipliner||Instruct /Teach||Model / Mentor||Correct/ Punish/Chastise|
|God to Person||2 Timothy 3:16|
|1 Peter 1:16|
|Person to Self||1 Corinthians 14:32|
2 Timothy 2:15
|1 Corinthians 9:27|
|Person to Another||2 Timothy 2:24-25|
2 Thessalonians 3:6
|Father to Family|
Mentor to Disciple
1 Samuel 3:13 (Eli)
1 Kings 1:6 (David)
|Assembly to Member||1 Timothy 1:3-7|
1 Timothy 1:18-19
2 Timothy 2:2
|1 Timothy 5:20|
2 Timothy 4:2
1 Thessalonians 5:14
1 Corinthians 5
1 Timothy 1:20
|Employer to Employee||1 Peter 2:17-18|
|2 Samuel 23:3|
|Government to Citizen||Romans 13:1-7||Genesis 9:6|
|Disciple / Disciplinee